Friday 15 March 2013

Confessions of a Basketball Widow

I don't really get it - the sport of basketball that is.  I didn't play it in school (except for one awkward season in Gr. 8).  I might have been more athletic had I been encouraged, but I lacked the confidence and coordination.  However, I ended up marrying a true, through and through Jock.  I love his passion for sports, but I don't like watching it on TV.  I love that he has an amazing memory for sports trivia, but I don't like that he doesn't come to bed cause he's checking on stats.  He played at the University level and I would watch the games but usually chatted with his mom most of the time and didn't really follow the game.  Now he is a coach for a senior high boys team and it is pretty time consuming. 



And that is how I see it, as time consuming.  I don't see it as a passion he has for the sport, to work with kids, to instill positive qualities in the youth, to be a role model, to use his gifts and abilities to God's glory.  I don't see that he's under constant scrutiny from parents, fans and the public.  I don't see that he works a full day as an elementary school teacher, on his feet, talking and imparting knowledge and then has to run a 2 hour practice or coach a game in the evening.  And I really don't get what he actually does as a coach during a game to play the right players and run the right plays.  But I do know that he is the one that gets called when they loose a big game and a kid is bummed that he didn't get to play, or that he has to talk about the details to every concerned and semi-knowledgeable fan that watched.  I am tired after a long season of putting the kids to bed by myself or going to bed by myself (it's not all bad, but some weeks are busier than others).  But I am not on show.  I am not being scrutinized, criticized and "on" all the time.  I don't even know what goes on in the brain of the man I am married to, but as I watch him coach (which unfortunately with kid's bed schedules or kids tearing around the gym, I don't actually "watch" that much basketball) I feel like I want to be right beside him, holding his hand.  Tomorrow when he's tired on a Saturday and not eager to complete my honey do list, maybe I'll have a little compassion, a little empathy and give the guy a break.  There are days that I want to throw in the towel and have a fit cause I had a hard day with the kids and he wasn't here - but he is doing something for a greater purpose than himself and I love him for it.  I hope they win tonight (they're playing in the semi-finals of Provincials as I write).  But if they don't I will love him and not hold it against him - maybe there's something to be said for being clueless about sports.

With a barrel and a heap of love,

Steph





No comments:

Post a Comment